You do not need a luxury car to stay refreshed amid the burning heat outside your car doors. What makes you feel most comfortable when driving is the air conditioner is working well!
Aside from the comfort it provides, it also helps you drive safely since it helps defog window mists when it rains outside and keeps you cool even when traffic is heating your temperature.
That is why you should maintain the piece by knowing how to clean car AC evaporator without removing it!
Table of Contents
- Car Evaporator Cleaning Without Removing
- What is an AC Evaporator in a Car?
- How Often Should Evaporators Be Cleaned?
- How Much Does It Cost to Use Ac Evaporator Cleaning Service?
- How Much Does It Cost to Replace an Evaporator in a Car?
Car Evaporator Cleaning Without Removing
What You Need:
- Car AC evaporator cleaner – As your core coil is dirty, you need car evaporator cleaning. Kool-it Evaporator Cleaner is an air conditioner cleaner for car. Another one saleable in the market is MOC Evaporator Core Cleaner.
- Screwdrivers of different sizes
- Protective gear: gloves, glasses, facemask
- Water in a Spray Bottle
- Handheld Electric Fan or Compressed Air
- Clean Cloth
Step 1: Search for the Location of your Airconditioning System
Your car air conditioning can be found in two locations: 1 is in the firewall, which divides the passenger seat from the engine, and 2 is under the car hood.
You can find your evaporator core confined in a plastic panel that protrudes from the Firewall before you can have an evaporator core cleaning.
Step 2: Wear your gear
At all times, safety is a priority. Wear gloves, glasses, and a facemask before detaching the blower fan that blocks your access to the evaporator core. Use a screwdriver to remove it.
Step 3: Inspect the core
This step is crucial because this is when you have to decide whether to go on cleaning it yourself or determine AC evaporator service necessary.
If you see that the core is only dirty, then you can proceed and clean evaporator coil. However, cleaning auto evaporator coils might not be enough if it is damaged. You should consult professional advice.
Step 4: Spatter with a Car AC Evaporator Foam Cleaner
Spray the car evaporator cleaner into the core. Do not leave any part uncovered.
You know when you are ready for the next step when the foam totally evaporates and what is left is only liquid mist.
Step 5: Wash Out and Wipe
Wash out the remains of the AC evaporator cleaner for car by spraying water from a bottle spray, then wipe with a clean cloth.
Do not use a high-pressure water sprayer or water hose so as not to damage the parts.
Step 6: Fan to Dry
The handheld fan is just perfect for drying. Hair dryers and other heating devices may cause permanent damage to your automobile AC evaporator.
Make sure everything is dry before the next step.
Step 7: Time to Put it Back
It is time to put everything back in its proper place. Reattach the fan blower and re-screw the locks.
By this time, you already know how to clean without having to remove the car AC evaporator.
What is an AC Evaporator in a Car?
Many might not be aware but the AC condenser and the AC evaporator are not the same. The AC evaporator cleaner for car is a refrigeration system that removes heat in a confined place while the condenser splits the hot from the cold air in an air conditioning system.
How Often Should Evaporators Be Cleaned?
Every three months is the ideal cleaning maintenance of your car’s AC evaporator. It’s to ensure that dust and moisture are built up to harm its function and reduce the AC performance.
How Much Does It Cost to Use Ac Evaporator Cleaning Service?
The average cleaning cost for condensers and evaporators is around $100 to $400, depending on the cleanser brand, materials used, and level of service your car AC needs.
How Much Does It Cost to Replace an Evaporator in a Car?
For the replacement of evaporator coils, the total amount varies (including the labor and the replacement coil) with the following brackets: $800 for the lowest cost, $1,500 for the average cost, and $2,500 for the highest cost.
Again, this depends on the car shop you go to and the replacement brand you buy.
How to clean car AC condenser without removing it?
You can follow these steps to clean the evaporator coil with ease:
- Turn off your car AC before cleaning, and wear a pair of thin gloves as well as a face mask.
- Check the manual to locate the coil more easily. Then, proceed to take the access panel off the AC out so you can see the evaporator coil.
- Now, clean the coil with a compressed air canister. Do not hesitate, just point the nozzle towards the piece and remove the dirt.
When to clean an AC condenser?
Ideally, it should be cleaned twice a year. However, as your condenser ages, the more frequent it needs cleaning especially if symptoms of AC defects start to show.
Can a car AC evaporator get clogged?
Yes. You will know when it is clogged if your AC no longer effuses cold air.
When should I clean my car’s AC evaporator?
As advised by the experts, every three months you need to clean your AC evaporator. But if by any chance you failed to do so, clean it immediately if symptoms of AC defects are observed.
How to clean a car AC condenser?
What You Need:
- Protective glasses, gloves, and mask
- Screwdriver and Wrench
- Garbage or Cellophane
- Soft-bristled Brush
- AC coil cleaner for Condenser
- Water hose
- Air Compressor
- Wear your protective mask, glasses, and gloves.
- Before starting the process, make sure that your car is turned off and that the engine has cooled off.
- Cover the neighboring parts with a garbage bag or cellophane to make sure that they will be damage free from the process.
- Open your car hood and detach all the bolts and screws to access your AC condenser.
- Using the soft-bristled brush, gently wipe out the visible dirt and grime that your condenser has accumulated over some time.
- Shake the bottle of the coil condenser cleaner first before spraying it on the condenser. Let it settle for a few minutes until the foam completely evaporates.
- To completely remove the dirt and grime, wash it off carefully with a non-high-pressure water hose so as not to damage the wirings and other parts.
- To dry the condenser faster, you need to blow out excess water using a blowgun air compressor.
- After drying up the condenser, take out the garbage bag or cellophane cover and clean the surrounding area of the condenser without removing bumper.
- Secure the bumper back to its place by putting back all the bolts and screws with a wrench or a screwdriver.
Your car’s air conditioning system plays an important role in your comfort and safety. If we tend to neglect the maintenance needs of your four wheels, you may end up paying a high price.
Therefore, it is important to know how to clean car AC evaporator without removing it. Finally, if you want to stay comfortable and safe in your car, make sure to follow the guide above. And feel free to share the article.